Dedicated Web Hosting Vs Shared Web Hosting: Pros and Cons
If you wish to have your website up and ready for the internet, the first step is to decide on the hosting plan. The first difference you have to look at when deciding between hosting options is whether you want a web hosting plan or a shared web hosting plan. However, it is not easy to choose between the two. You should take into account the company or individual needs together with the budget before you decide which option to choose. You should also consider the future growth of your business.
Here are some important things to know about shared web hosting plans:
- There are many websites that are hosted on just one single server.
- This is cheaper, but instead of having the server that it is only dedicated to your website, you will be sharing the resources of the server with others.
- It means that you will share FTP accounts, email accounts, database and bandwidth.
- One benefit of shared hosting is that it is affordable since all the resources are shared.
- It is the best option for personal websites, blogs or small businesses.
- The technical issues of the server have to be taken care of by the hosting company.
- There is no need to learn about using Linux and Windows.
The disadvantages of shared hosting:
- It offers limited security features because of the nature of the shared server.
- It has a high level of hacking, although it is possible to prevent it.
- It is not able to run on all software programs and utilities but only those that are supported or provided by the hosting company.
- The websites may be slow because the server can be overloaded and the customer service is not available all the time.
With a dedicated host plan, your website does not share the server with other websites. This means that all the resources of the server are dedicated to your websites.
For the dedicated hosting server:
- The website has faster speeds and upload times and good connectivity.
- It has the ability of managing large amounts of traffic.
- There will be no interruption to the service.
- It offers more storage and data options.
- It offers control over the server and more security since it is hard to hack.
Disadvantages of dedicated web hosting:
- The price is much higher compared to the shared servers.
- The user should get the knowledge of how to administer the server.
- It is hard to diagnose and solve the problems if you are not well-versed in this area.